- 1 3-4 pound Whole Chicken
- 12 Cups Water
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1 Medium Onion Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Bunch Celery, including leafy bits Chopped
- 1 Pound Carrots Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Medium Turnip Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Pound Parsnip Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Bunch Dill
- 1 Bunch Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the carrots and celery, and cook for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables start to soften, stirring often
- Add the parsnips and turnips, and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the vegetables get soft and slightly browned.
- Open the chicken from the packaging, and remove the gizards inside. Wash the chicken inside and out with cool water.
- Add the chicken on top of the vegetables in the pan. Fill with water. You can add more water to create more broth if you'd like.
- Add the salt, pepper, fresh dill and fresh parsley to the water. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for 4-5 hours until the chicken is cooked all the way and the vegetables are soft. Stirring occasionally.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the water.
- Place a colander over another stock pot and place in the sink. Carefully pour the stock and vegetables through the colander, making sure no bits of vegetables or herbs gets in the stock.
- If you have family members who aren't getting bariatric surgery, you could tear up the chicken, add the vegetables with some fresh peas and corn, and make a chicken pot pie with the leftovers. Otherwise, you can discard them.
Sugar Free Jello
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 package sugar-free Jello Flavor of Choice
- Add the package of Jello to a bowl
- Add the boiling water
- Mix with a whisk for two minutes until gelatin is completely dissolved
- Add the cold water
- Mix with whisk for one minute until well combined
- Place air-tight lid on top and let set in the refrigerator for four hours or until set
Decaf Peppermint Tea
- 1 Teabag Peppermint Tea
- 8 ounces water
- 1 tsp Artificial sweetener optional
- Add teabag to a coffee cup.
- Add the water to a teapot and place on the stove. Wait for the whistle. Pour over teabag.-OR-Add the water to the microwavable coffee cup and place in the microwave. Microwave for 2 minutes or until desired temperature.
- Allow the tea to seep into the water for a few moments.
- Add the artificial sweetener and stir with a spoon until dissolved. Add an ice cube if the water is too hot for you. Sip, sip, sip!
Sugar-Free Root Beer Ice Pops
- Ice Pop Maker
- 1 packet Sugar-free on-the-go drink mix, like A&W Singles To Go Drink Mix Root Beer Flavored
- 16 oz Water, bottled
- Open the packet of drink mix and pour into a 16.9 fluid ounce bottle of water.
- Twist the cap back on tightly and shake to combine
- Pour four ounces of liquid into each ice pop mold
- Carefully insert the ice pop sticks
- Freeze for three hours or until hard
Sugar-Free Cherry Ice Pops
- Ice Pop Maker
- 1 packet Sugar-Free Kool-Aid on The Go Cherry Flavored
- 16 ounces Water Bottled
- Open the Kool-Aid Packet and dump into the bottle of water
- Twist the lid back on tightly and shake the bottle vigorously
- Pour evenly into four ice pop molds (4 ounces each)
- Insert the ice pop sticks carefully and place into freezer
- Freeze for three house or until firm
While the clear liquid diet phase sounds hard, your main priority at this point is to rest and stay hydrated. Your stomach needs to heal, so plain liquids like broth, sugar-free jello, and sugar-free ice pops are the way to go. Taking small sips with a medicine cup helps remind you to not take too big of a gulp. During the clear liquid diet after bariatric surgery, it’s important to stay hydrated with non-caloric, sugar-free beverages. Before you know it, you’ll be ready for full liquids! Stay turned for our in-depth look at the full liquid stage on September 2, 2019!
If this article gave you some great ideas to incorporate into your life, just imagine what other amazing strategies I have for you! Share this post on social media by clicking one of the sharing buttons, and don’t forget to join my email list! You’ll be the first to get updates, access to my new products and lots of tips, inspiration and motivation to help in your bariatric surgery journey. Just for joining, I’ll send you a free weight loss coloring chart, as well as some other pretty awesome goodies to keep you motivated. Join today!
Plain, non-caloric, sugar-free liquids. Examples include:
–Decaffeinated, sugar-free coffee or tea