Pizza is my favorite food. Seriously. I couldn’t imagine my life without eating it again. Once I had bariatric surgery, I knew pizza would only be a once-in-a-while treat. The high carbs and fat aren’t conducive to a bariatric lifestyle. So I started searching for a bariatric-friendly option. I derived this recipe from several I’ve read to get a crispy crust that holds up well and can be eaten like regular pizza. This recipe replaces the flour-based crust to a chicken and cheese crust. Sign me up! Chicken crust pizza is a protein-packed, delicious, filling meal for bariatric patients
Make It Count!
Since our new stomachs can’t hold a lot of food, we have to make our meals count. You’ll find out in your nutrition classes the specifics of your post-op nutrition program. They need to be high in protein, but low in carbs, sugar and fat. However, that doesn’t mean they can’t be delicious! This chicken crust pizza is full of flavor, and you can really top it however you like. It reminds me of chicken parmesan, and the edges get crispy. It satisfies my pizza craving, and one pizza will last me a whole week! Easy meal prep!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Three 4.5 ounce cans of chicken packed in water (I’ve also used cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, about three medium breasts, chopped in a food processor)
- 3/4 Cup parmesan cheese, divided
- Two cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 Large egg
- Seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- 1/2 Cup tomato sauce
- Favorite pizza toppings (Mushrooms for me!)
One: Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Two: Open the cans of chicken and drain the water. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
Three: Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and one cup mozzarella cheese
Four: Add one egg
Five: Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
Six: Mix well with hands. Spread as thin as possible, without creating holes, on the parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Seven: Top with tomato sauce, one cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (or a cheese blend of your liking). Add your favorite pizza toppings, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
Eight: When the cheese is melted and slightly golden brown, pull it out of the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. Cut into eight even slices and enjoy!
Since protein is king in the bariatric world, you’re probably wondering how much protein is in a slice of my delicious pizza. One slice of this pizza will give you 19 grams of protein with only 8.6 grams of fat, 2.9 grams of carbs and 0.9 grams of sugar. If you add toppings, these calculations would change. However, for a basic recipe, 19 grams of protein is remarkable. Each slice only has 164 calories too, so it makes it a great meal for a bariatric patient. Chicken crust pizza is full of king protein, full of flavor and a filling meal for bariatric patients.
Chicken Crust Pizza
- 3 4.5 oz cans chicken breast packed in water
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese part-skim
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Favorite pizza toppings
- Preheat oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit. Place parchment paper over cookie sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Open the cans of chicken and drain the water. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
- To the bowl, add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Add 1 egg and seasonings
- Mix well with hands. Pour mixture onto parchment paper, and spread as thin as possible without creating holes. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Add your favorite pizza toppings. Bake for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Once the cheese is melted and slightly golden brown, let rest for a few minutes. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy!
If you want to make this recipe, please use the share buttons to share on your social media. Don’t forget to comment a picture of your completed pizza when you make it! While you’re at it, follow Stop Weighting, Start Doing on social media! I post inspiration, links to my latest blog posts and progress photos. I’d love to hear from you!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place parchment paper over a
3. Open the cans of chicken and drain the water. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
5. Add 1 egg
6. Add seasonings
7. Mix well with hands. Pour mixture onto parchment paper, and spread as thin as possible without creating holes. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
8. Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese
9. Once the cheese is melted and slightly golden brown, let rest for a few minutes. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy!